The role of anti-CCP antibodies in the management of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Anil Vasishta PhD
Axis-Shield Diagnostics Limited
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a chronic and progressive autoimmune disease causing joint inflammation which can lead to permanent joint destruction and deformity if treated too late. Early diagnosis coupled with aggressive use of disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs has been shown to have a favorable effect on the course of the disease. Therefore, early and accurate diagnosis has become increasingly important.
Several sets of criteria have been published to achieve an early diagnosis, and all of them include measurement of antibodies directed to citrullinated peptides. This webinar will review and summarize our knowledge about the well-known and established test to measure these antibodies, the anti-CCP test, which measures antibodies directed to cyclic citrullinated peptides.
The anti-CCP test is more specific than the commonly used RF test and has a comparable sensitivity. These antibodies are detectable very early in the disease and are also reported to predict the development of erosive RA. Testing for anti-CCP auto-antibodies is widely accepted as an indispensable tool for the early diagnosis and treatment in the management of rheumatoid arthritis patients.
- Provide an overview of rheumatoid arthritis disease, its symptoms and diagnosis
- Discuss the current laboratory tests and the latest American College of Rheumatology (ACR) guidelines used to diagnose RA
- Explain the benefits of anti-CCP antibody testing for:
- early RA diagnosis
- correlation with disease severity and progression
- Discuss the differences in performance and reliability between the anti-CCP and RF tests as they relate to clinical utility in RA
This program has been designated for 1.0 PACE continuing education credit.*
* Not all participants may be eligible to receive free PACE credits. Please refer to your institution's guidelines to determine your eligibility. There is a charge of $10.00 plus local tax for each half or full hour of CE credit. Purchase of CE credit is optional. Non-accredited participation in Siemens educational offerings and programs remains complimentary.